Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The time has come













Now that my first semester of college over I can say I survived five months away from home. Which for me is a really big step. And for those of you who are about to embark on your college journey here are twelve helpful hints to get you through the first semester of college without completely embarrassing yourself.
1. Don't room with your teammate (or some one you plan on being close friends with)
2. Don't buy your school supplies before you start class (otherwise you will end up with little notebooks, that are meant for style rather function; barely fit a whole semester of notes in one)
3. Buy winter clothes in a place where there is winter
4. Don't dance in front of your mirror while alone in your room (no longer your "own" room)
5. Be a considerate roommate and wear head phones at all times while listening to music
6. Just because you are now on your own, don't buy all the foods your parents never let you get (freshman 15)
7. when you drink for the first time do not take a shot!! you will choke
8. if you are over six feet and around 170 lbs don't get wasted without someone who is bigger than you, so you can be carried home (by the way parents this has never happened to me)
9. take you time while descending and ascending the stairs (tripping is on the to most embarrassing things)
10. Always have a smiley face on (hard to make friends when the face you give looks like you are going to kill them)
11. Call your parents more than once a week
12. Don't forget about your family and friends you left at home (they make you who you are and help you persevere through the hard times)

Wow, I thought that this semester would never end. This has been the hardest five months and I have learned so much. I have heard that the first semester is always the hardest part. So good thing I made though it! My grades since midterms have definitely improved and I have somewhat mastered the art of studying. That is not to say I still have a long way to go.

I just remember the first blog entry I posted and I how I cried the entire time I wrote it. Now I am laughing and writing with ease. I never thought I would write down some of my deepest thoughts and embarrassing moments, but I have and I feel like I am completely being myself. This makes me feel grown-up on way not that I am anywhere close to being an adult. Even though I am eighteen, does not mean I am mature or wise enough. I have so much to learn and I am excited for the ride.

At the beginning, when I was really upset, I broke down in front of the athletic academic advisor. He said that I am so lucky to have such a large amount of love for my family, and that not most kids my age love their family as much as I do. Sometimes it takes people years to realize how much they love their family members. And the fact that I have such a close relationship with my loved ones is very special. He also said that this Christmas is going to be like the Christmases from when I was a kid. The kind when you were excited and happy all the time, waiting for Santa and believing.

Hearing this sent me even more over the edge and I am so grateful for my friends and family. I am looking forward to the next three weeks.

It snowed here last night and it is the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen! And we had an ugly sweater contest and it was Brittney's 21st Birthday and I got sent a Flat Tyler! Man O'Man do I love my life!

3 comments:

shelley said...

Love you so much Mere! Your writing is amazing. I still can't tell you how cool it is that you give it all with such candor- the makings of an amazing writer/ journalist/filmmaker/photographer. We are so lucky to have each other- forever!!! Can't wait to hug you!!!

Love, Aunt Shell

britcrenshaw said...

Wow...is ill i can say! you have really amazed me with this blog and i cant wait to hear it everyday for however long you continue to do it. you truly are an amazing and talented writer and i am proud to be your twin sister!!
cant wait til we are reunited once again!!
love you,
Brit

gkitty said...

Mere, this is just great!! I love your candor and your willingness to be vulnerable. Shelley is right. You have the real makings of a great writer! Writing like you talk and being who you are allows us readers a chance to identify and connect. Keep it up! I am grateful to be a part of the family you hold so dear. Right back at ya! xoxo