Sunday, July 25, 2010

my spanish sister












After a long and stressful two weeks at school working little kids camps. I have learned that at this point in my life I do not see myself being a volleyball coach. Expecting a nice and relaxing three weeks off before I drive back up to school I come home to a new arrival to the Crenshaw Hotel.

Lucia Garofano is from a little town just 45 minutes from the hustle and bustle of Madrid. She is 19 years old and she was visiting America with 13 other European Volleyball players. She is a libero for her club and University team. Lucia was assigned to us to be her host family and let me just say that she was the best fit! She is hilarious even with a little bit of a language barrier you could see her sense of humor shine through. She loves to dance, hang out with friends and family and of course play VOLLEYBALL. So she fit in perfectly except for the whole being as tall as my nine year old brother, olive complexion, and the thick accent.

We had so much fun! We laughed, we danced, we played volleyball. It was quite the experience. We also got the chance to meet all the other girls that were on the trip.
There was five Spaniards, four Italians, and four Slovenians. I loved getting to know them and interact and hear their languages. It is a week that I will never forget and I am so grateful for the experience and hope that someday some I will go and visit all the girls that I met this week.















1 comment:

1gkitty said...

Mere,
These last two posts are simply magic! They made me laugh, cry and filled my heart with pure joy! You really do have a great future as a photo journalist. I hope you pursue it. Love you to pieces! What a life you're having as a result of your wonderful, welcoming family!